How to Measure for Your RV/ Boat Cover
Do I really need to measure my RV to buy a cover? The answer is YES. The best way to make sure your cover fits properly is to physically measure your RV. Even if you know the make and model, the manufacturer specifications may be different than what you really have. It's always a good idea that you physically measure your RV due to extended bumpers, ladders, spare tires, etc. Do not include the propane tanks or front hitch on trailers in measurements.
Tools We Need Before The Measurement
- Tape measure (long enough to measure your RV)
- Paper and pen
- If rv length close to the edge of the size range, please choose the larger size for best fit
- Measurement should include all external accessories such as ladders, spare wheel air conditioner, antenna, etc
- DO NOT rely on the manufacturer’s specs. Make sure you measure it correctly before the purchase
How To Measure for An RVMasking Cover
Step 1: Measure Your RV From Bumper to Bumper
Measure the length of the RV from bumper to bumper. If anything sticks out past the bumpers, make note of what it is and how far it sticks out (for example: a ladder sticks out past the back bumper by 8.5 inches, spare tire on back bumper – 18 inches, etc). DO NOT include the hitch or tougue.
Step 2: Measure the Height of Your RV
When measuring the height of the RV, Measure the trailer sidewalls at the highest point of the roofline down to the outside frame, including roof-mounted accessories, vents, and A/C units. excluding ground clearance, Remember, don't stop at the top of the wheel well!
Step 3: Measure the Width of Your RV
Measure the width of the RV from side to side. Go to the front of the RV or trailer and measure the widest part. Just like with height and width, do not include awnings or mirrors. Include the sideview mirror if they don't fold in.
What About Awnings and Mirrors?
All of our covers are meant to accommodate typical RV awnings. Mirrors should be folded in to the vehicle when installing a cover. The cover will typically have enough fabric to cover the mirrors - even if they do not fold in.
The RV Cover should be a little loose when you put it on. This will make for a much easier install. Once in place the cover can be tightened and secured with straps.
How do I measure my car?
When measuring your car, it is good to keep the following points in mind:
Fold in the exterior mirrors during the measurement
Measure the width inside the car - open both doors and measure inside. After all, the chassis is wider than the roof.
Measure the length - as usual - from front to back. Please note that you do not measure the trailer hitch.
If you don't have a tape measure, you can find your car's measurements in your car's owner's manual or online.
Depending on the type of car you need either an SUV car cover or a "normal" All Weather car cover. Look in each category to see which cover best suits the dimensions of your car.
How do I measure the roof of my car?
Measuring the car roof works a little differently than measuring the car.
Note the following points:
- When measuring the length, start at the bottom of the windshield (where the wipers are mounted)
- Now measure across the roof of your car
- Finally, measure the rear window. If your measuring tape is not long enough, measure the windshield, roof and rear window individually and add up the individual lengths - the result is then the total length of your car roof.
- You can measure the height by measuring from the bottom of the window in the car door up to the edge of the roof.
- You measure the width by measuring the top edge of the windshield from left to right.
To choose the best boat cover, you should first measure your boat.
Here's how best to do this.
How do I measure my open boat?
Also consider if there are items such as a rail or a chain wheel that protrude over the edge of the boat (if you plan to cover those items with the tarp as well). We recommend a separate cover for the outboard motor. However, if it fits better in terms of size, then you can also cover the engine with the boat tarpaulin.
The boat tarpaulins are tapered - if your boat is not tapered at the front then these tarpaulins will not fit your boat (so-called flat-bottomed boats). If your boat is shorter than 420cm, then in this case you can try an inflatable boat cover.
Which tarpaulin is suitable for my open boat?
First of all, you should check whether there is an object protruding over the edge of the boat, for example the rudder or a (windscreen) screen. If this object extends more than 30 centimeters over the edge of the boat, a console boat cover may be more suitable for your boat.
Are there no objects sticking out over the edge of your boat?
If no objects extend beyond the edge of the boat, measure the length and width from front to back and left to right. These are the dimensions that your boat tarpaulin should have.
Is the rudder or a sheave higher than the edge of the boat?
Then, for open boat coverage, measure from fore to aft across the object. Also measure from left to right across the highest point. These are the dimensions the boat cover should have to fully cover your boat.
Which tarpaulin is suitable for my console boat?
There are one options for your center console boat, the 800D Long Life Boat Cover specifically for center console boats. The 800D Long Life Boat Cover has a cut out where a console would normally be in the boat. For the best fit, choose a tarpaulin from this category. For console boats, these covers are available in the following dimensions:Length 20'-22' Beam Width Up To 106‘’
Length 17'-19' Beam Width Up To 102‘’
These are the actual boat dimensions, measured front to back and left to right, not including the console.
Does your boat have dimensions other than those mentioned?
For boats shorter than above, open boat tarpaulins are suitable as a cover. In this case, take the steering console into account when measuring. Measure the boat as follows: front to back across the console and left to right also across the console. These are the measurements you need to fully cover your boat.
For boats that are longer than the above, speed boat tarpaulins may be suitable as a cover. The recess is then a little further forward compared to the covers for console boats. However, this does not have to be an obstacle.
The boat tarpaulins are tapered - if your boat is not tapered at the front then these tarpaulins will not fit (so-called flat-bottomed boats).
Are there other objects that can affect the length of the tarpaulin? Then note that the tarpaulin must be longer to be able to cover these objects. Therefore, also measure any existing railing!
Advice on making the right choice
Are you unable to measure your boat? Or would you like some advice to help you make the right choice? Then simply get in touch with our expert customer service via our contact page. We are always at your side with help and advice.
People who bought this product also bought
- 【1200D+600D 100% Waterproof Cover】 This T-TOP boat cover is made of high-strength 1200D fabric in the upper part and 600D fabric in the bottom parts. With waterproof PU coating and anti-UV coating, it provides better water resistance and tear resistance than pure 500D/600D/900D oxford. Tip: you can buy a support rod to prevent water accumulation. Fits 20-22ft Long and Beam Width up to 106 inches.
- 【Windproof & Snugly Fit】 11 pcs adjustable tie-down straps with buckles provides easy installation and quick release, keeping the boat cover firmly in place to prevent the cover from blowing away. All-around bottom elastic hem ensures a 360 degree custom-fit for your boat.
- 【Quick-drying & Motor Cover】 Both sides of the tail are equipped with an air vent to prevent water vapor from gathering under the boat cover, keeping the boat dry and extending the service life of the prod. Free motor cover is included. It also can be used as a storage bag.
- 【Durable Design & BAR-TACK】 Double Fabric reinforcement in 4 corner reduce the tearing caused by sharp corner in storm. Double stitching for all seams enhance the tear resistance and durability of the cover. Plus, compared with other boat cover, we adopt BAR-TACK stitches to snap the straps in place, reducing the possibility of wearing straps.
- 【Package & Support】Package included: 1* boat cover, 1*motor cover, 11*straps. We provide 24-month warranty for our customer. If you have any question while in use, please contact us. ❤Notice: DO NOT store or roll up boat cover while wet. Be sure to clean and dry before storage. Please measure your boat before your purchase.
Why Choose Our 600D+1200D T-Top Boat Cover?
RVMasking Upgraded High Quality 600D+1200D Waterproof T-Top Boat Cover features heavy-duty fabric for Max Weather Protection, Easy Installation, Custom Fitting and Extra Strength, including:
-Top 1200D + Bottom 600D polyester, PU coating and anti-UV coating help repel water、anti-scratch and protect you boat against dirt and sun damage
- Total double stitching seams
- 2 pieces corner reinforcement at front and rear
- Strap loops design suitable for mooring
- Elasticized hem for a custom fit
- 2 air vents on the sides combined with breathable quick drying Polyester, reduce wind stress and vent inside moisture
- 11 pcs adjustable straps with durable plastic buckles
Please measure before purchase
- Measure the center line length.(Straight measurement from bow to stern,not includes the motor, make sure include tolerance for excessive bow rail heights, trolling motors, ladders, and transom platforms etc., DO NOT to measure up and over the windshield)
- Measure the beam width.(Straight measurement for the widest distance across the boat, flat line from side to side at the widest point on the hull. Do NOT measure up and over the windshield)
- Move up to the next size if your measurement falls on maximum length.
1*2-in-1 motor cover
- 2 years warranty
- If there is anything wrong with the boat cover, please feel free to contact us
RVMasking provides free delivery service only in the United States. Not available for sale outside the United States.
If your location belongs to remote areas, the resulting remote costs borne by the buyer. (Customer service specialists will contact before shipping)
We only support PayPal and Credit Card payment (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc). All our products are shipped free of charge, so the user only has to bear the cost of the product and no extra charges will be incurred.
Processing and Delivery Time
- Processing Time: Usually 1-2 Business Days. (Except holidays)
- Shipping Time: Usually 2-5 Business Days. (Ships from our overseas warehouse in the USA)
Orders during Saturday and Sunday will be processed as quickly as possible on Monday. It may take longer process to process and deliver your orde during peak seasons. We sincerely appreciate your understading and patience.
Affected by Covid-19, the arrival time will be delayed(If you do not receive the goods for more than 15 days, please contact us by email at Support@rv-masking.com in time, we will compensate according to the product logistics)
Track Your Orders
When your order is dispatched we'll send you an email with your tracking details so you can follow its journey. If for any reason you don't receive this, please email us at Support@rv-masking.com and we'll update you on your order's progress.
Contact Us Any Time
You are welcome to email us at Support@rv-masking.com any time if you need any help with your order.
① RV Cover Installation Guide
Step 1: Put the tire cover on first. Slide the cover over the tire, took the bungee to one side, toss around the back of the tire and connect it to the other side.
Step 2: Find a nice large area to spread the cover, unfold it. Find the front and back of the cover. (The side with sewn "front" tag, that's the front)
Step 3: Flip the cover and make sure the top is facing upward. Fold over one side of the top, the other side of the top, from the bottom loosely roll up the cover toward the front.
Step 4: Take the cover to the top and put it on.(Tips: remember to make your roof clean with no twigs branches)
Step 5: Put the gutter cover on and drop one side of the cover, over the front and back. The other side is the same. Make sure all folds are out and equally space side to side.
Step 6: Put all the staps tight (including triangle straps, medium traps, and large straps)
You are so welcome to email us at Support@rv-masking.com if any help is needed.
② Boat Cover Installation Guide
Place cover over the front portion of your boat. Then pull cover slowly over the vehicle until it covers the boat. (Remember: Avoid any sharp corners as you install the cover. You may wish to pad sharp angles or tape them over with a piece of material before covering.)
Trailering With Your RVMasking Cover
- Place the long black strap through the belt sheath sewn on the cover back. Attach the strap ends into the special non-corrosive buckle. You can adjust the length of the strap using the buckle.
- Then secure the elastic cord under the middle belly of the boat or pwc.
- Then cinch up all straps tightly, so as to keep the wind from tearing the cover off when you drive. (Warning: When transporting, cover must be fastened in such a way as to eliminate "Wind Flap". Improper installation or failure to tighten the belts & straps, may cause the cover to tear.)
STRAPS: Buckles that face down will tie to each other going under. to opposite side. The buckles that face up will tie over the cover to opposite sides. The straps will wrap the entire boat going under the hull and over the boat cover refund meeting at the rub rails to connect to the buckles.
Cleaning Your Cover
Any cover will slowly collect dust on its underside, picked up from contact with the surface of the vehicle. Do not use machines with agitators - this can damage the cover and actually cause rips or tears. Do not wash in hot water! DO NOT put the cover in an automatic dryer (the fabric can melt). DO NOT dry clean. Another way to clean the dust from either the inside or outside of the cover is to put it on the vehicle and hose it off. To clean the inside, put the cover on the vehicle inside out(this can only be done if you do not have an external antenna). After rinsing off the cover, leave it on the vehicle to dry. Then fold it and return it to the trunk or usual storage place.
Installing Cover With Loops & Tie Down Straps :
Based upon the size of your boat cover, it may not be necessary to use all of the tie down straps.
- Step 1: Thread the buckle-end of the strap through the tie down loop from back to front. Pull through approximately 12 inches and tie-off with a simple overhand knot so that the strap is secure.
- Step 2: Guide the opposite end of the strap around the trailer from back to front.
- Step 3: Thread the strap through the top slot in the quick release buckle from back to front, pulling the end of the strap toward you.
- Step 4: Continue threading the strap over the center bar of the buckle and into the bottom slot of the buckle. The strap is now fully adjustable by pulling down on the loose end of webbing. Install all the straps on the cover before tightening.
- Step 5: Be sure the cover is centered on the boat, then tighten all straps securely so that the cover is taut.
- Step 6: Trim the straps. Leave approximately 12” of webbing for adjustability and trim off any excess using a pair of scissors. Lightly singe the cut edge of the webbing using a cigarette lighter to fuse the yarns and prevent the webbing from unraveling.
DO NOT SET ON FIRE AND BE SURE TO EXTINGUISH ANY FLAMES. To remove the boat cover, simply disconnect the quick release buckles by squeezing the sides. For quick and easy re-installation of the cover, leave the straps attached to the tie-down loops. After first use, check straps for tautness. If they require adjustment, untie knot and refer to step 1.
③ Car Cover Installation Guide
STEP 1: Make sure your vehicle is clear of any dust or dirt particles, so they do not get trapped in between the cover and your vehicle surface.
STEP 2: Carefully remove your RVMasking Cover from the carrying case on the top of your vehicle with the front of the cover facing the front of your vehicle, being careful it does not touch the ground. We suggest beginning towards the rear of your vehicle.
STEP 3: Slowly unroll the cover down the middle of the vehicle towards the back and cover the rear of the car making sure the edge of the cover is under the bumper.
STEP 4: Now, roll the front of the cover towards the hood of your vehicle unrolling the side as you move forward. Do the same for the other side of your vehicle.
STEP 5: Pull the front edge of the cover underneath your front bumper. Adjust the cover where needed to ensure that all areas are covered.
STEP 6: Use the strap and buckle clips, or cable lock system underneath your vehicle to secure the cover and ensure that it does not move around or get blown away. Adjust where necessary.